Contributors

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Our tribute to City Weekly

This blog entry is dedicated to City Weekly’s “Best of Utah.” We love City Weekly and we love that it gives us ideas for new restaurants to try. Yet, we think the ratings missed a few categories and we also think a few of our favorite gems were forgotten. Some of the restaurants listed here are our list for upcoming reviews. Let us know if you think we’ve left out any must-eat locations …

Here are our top forgotten categories:

Best Bathroom
. Circle Lounge. Sweetie says: They've got awesome red rock sinks. I'd want one in my home -- assuming I were a homeowner and assuming I were rich.

Best Place to Have an Affair: Market Street Oyster Bar. Sweetie says: The oyster selection is fab. And the clam chowder is the creamiest I've ever tasted. But, let's be honest: You're not at the Oyster Bar for the food. You've chosen the OB to keep a low profile -- the black leather round booths, circa 1982, and the mirrors on the walls. You can grope your secretary while drinking highballs like JR Ewing!" Spicy Girl: Hey, I’m all for sultry affairs and cocktails, but please don’t make me eat an oyster!

Best restaurant decorated by ex-Disney Employees: The Cheesecake Factory.

Best Surly Service: Piper Down. Spicy Girl says: Piper Down is … Pub Quiz, Sunday Brunch, and a popular Irish pub to hang out at. But don’t expect friendly service. If you try to move a chair, the bar tender will chide you, if you order food, expect one person at the table to be waiting while everyone else is served. And, double-count your change if you pay with cash (yes, Spicy Girl was shorted here). Surly service aside, the food is surprisingly edible for pub food. But stick to beer or wine if you don’t want a watered down drink. Why do we keep coming back for the abuse? Maybe it’s Pub Quiz, or the fact that lots of people always seem to want to meet here. Sweetie: I think you are underrating the food. It’s delicious. Period. It’s also the only place in Utah where I’ve seen Poutine, the French-Canadian fries-with-gravy-and-cheese-curds dish.

Now, more seriously, here are few of our top eateries that really should have received a nod from the City Weekly's readers and staff. If you haven’t checked out these places yet, you should.  They are among our favorite local finds:

Sweetie’s Picks:
Best Cheese Fries: Training Table. The dipping sauce, a take on “fry sauce” by mixing barbecue sauce and mayonnaise together, is good with the fries. I’m not much of a burger person so I just get the salads, which are generous in portion.

Best Everything: The Dodo. I love the Dodo, especially the drinks and desserts. Tollhouse Pie, chocolate mousse, tortes – their desserts change each day. A drink tip: Order the Parley’s Steamer – which has steamed milk, Bailey’s, Kahlua and vodka, topped with whipped cream – but ask them to add coffee. Delish! Their green salads are also good, perfectly tossed with the house dressing and with chopped almonds.


Spicy Girl's Picks:
Best New Restaurant: Layla Grille & Mezze. This Mediterranean grill opened last August, and I think it rivals Mazza in its food and atmosphere. The small plates are exquisite – especially the Mediterranean Crab Cakes (yes, you heard me right Mediterranean crab cakes). And the best part is they actually take reservations. Yes, it is possible to get amazingly good Mediterranean in Salt Lake, without having to choose between eating at old-people time or waiting for an hour. If you don’t feel like making reservations, you can always sit in the bar area.

Best Asian Fusion: Rice. All I can say about this place is “yum!” I have never had anything that I didn’t enjoy there. I love the sushi happy hours (Monday to Wednesday, 4 to 10 p.m.) and also love their Asian dishes. I’d recommend one of the curries.

Best Takeout: My Thai. This place has amazing Thai food, and most of the dishes are under $10. This is a mom-and-pop with nice owners who will customize your order to your preferred level of spicy-ness. (They'll give you chili flakes on the side on request). The reason I’m listing this as best “take out” is that I usually get take out there. The atmosphere is a bit lacking for an eat-in experience and they do not have a liquor license (it’s small, in a strip mall). But lots of people must disagree on the eat-in experience as there are usually more than a few enjoying an eat-in experience. My favorite here is the red curry with tofu.


2 comments:

  1. I'm also a fan of The Dodo! Now I want to try Layla Grille thanks to your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Val! We're so thrilled that you of all people have taken the time to read our blog!

    ReplyDelete