Contributors

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Red Rock Brewery

Bias alert -- We love Red Rock Brewery. It’s one of our favorite brew pubs for dinner & beer. So, it was a natural choice when we were looking for a fresh way to do Sunday brunch.

Sweetie: I arrived, having thrown my unwashed hair in a bun and skipping makeup except for red lipstick. I was trying to fit in with all the women who I suspected would show up looking disheveled, having spent the night at their boyfriends’. Turns out, I assumed wrong. Most women looked like they had showered.

Spicy Girl: Wow, Sweetie, you sure put a lot of thought into your disheveled look. I guess I'm just naturally disheveled. The atmosphere at the Red Rock is always casual -- but it's definitely not a seedy dive.

Sweetie: I guess I spend too many Sunday mornings at lowbrow coffee shops and cafes.

Spicy Girl: Well, enough small talk. Let’s get down to the food.

Sweetie: We both ordered fresh-brewed coffee for $1.99. Of course, I added cream and sugar.

Spicy Girl: It was nice that the waitress brought us a fresh brew instead of old bottom-of-the pot mud. The waitress also kept us topped off throughout our breakfast. I decided to be a bit adventurous and order something unusual. I got the “Eggs in Purgatory” for $9.99. This dish was comprised of fried eggs served in Tuscan bread and topped with marinara. The menu said “spicy tomato sauce” but it was just your standard marina. Not even a smidgen of heat. But still an unexpectedly tasty combination, especially after adding a little spice with some Cholula (they also offer Tobasco).

Sweetie: No smidgen of heat? I had to suck down my water after a bite of your dish. I thought the marinara tasted like it had hot sauce mixed in. For my dish, I was craving the Classic Eggs Benedict for $9.99. The eggs were perfectly poached, the English muffins were crispy, the Canadian bacon was salty and the Hollandaise sauce was rich, but rich in a good way. They could have used less sauce, however.

Spicy Girl: I agree, the Hollandaise sauce was rich and creamy. But there was a bit too much of it. My breakfast also came with bacon, which was the thick slab kind -- nice and crispy. Both of our dishes also came with breakfast potatoes. They were very soft, almost a bit overcooked. But the flavoring was good for potatoes, and adding Cholula was a nice enhancement.

Sweetie: I didn’t like the potatoes. They were too soggy. I think the best breakfast potatoes in town are the Market Street potatoes, because they are perfectly flavored and crispy. Our dishes also came with orange slices. I wish there had been more citrus.

Spicy Girl: I’ve never tried the Market Street Potatoes. But you are giving me some ideas for our next outing … Oh, I almost forgot. We had a special guest with us, SGBF.

SGBF: I ordered the Smoked Turkey Sandwich for $8.49 and a side of the soup of the day, mushroom and leek for $2. I wasn’t very impressed. My soup was only lukewarm but was seasoned well and not overly salty. The portion was ample, with plenty of mushrooms. The leeks were cut julienne-style, which aided the visual presentation, but the stringy-ness made it difficult to eat. The sandwich was mostly bun, and the mayo was plain, not the gourmet stuff you’d expect for an $11.50 meal. I felt the value for the money would have been better if the soup were a $2 addition and not a $2 substitute for the other side options. And I was jealous, because I didn’t have coffee and the waitress was not as adept at filling my water glass as she was at filling the coffee mugs.


Spicy Girl: For the three of us, the bill came to $37 including tax, but before tip. If you like to imbibe with your brunch, there are $2 Bloody Mary and Mimosa specials on Saturdays.

Red Rock is downtown at 254 S. 200 West. There is also a Park City location and we are anxiously awaiting the new Fashion Place Mall location (supposedly opening this summer). They are open every day for lunch and dinner. The weekend brunch hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Check them out at www.redrockbrewing.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment